Wednesday 4 March 2015

Farewell Jacques!


RIP Jacques Wessels - a special NMMU employee
At 6am this morning I received a WhatsApp informing me of the passing of a very special colleague, Jacques Wessels – a special person indeed! Deputy Director of Facilities Planning in the department of ICT Services, former Chairperson of NMMU’s NTEU branch and National President of the same union. But most of all – one helluva guy.

Jacques had fought a long and arduous battle with the dreaded cancer but until very recently, you would never have even known that. When someone passes away, there is always a flood of niceties and condolence messages of how great the person was. In this case – they are 100% deserved.
Guest blogger Bev Erickson

I got to know Jacques back in the day – not quite of the rinderpest era – but a long time ago. He had a work ethic of note, superior intelligence and was so very eloquent (best I make sure there are no spelling errors in this blog as he would not approve!)

To quote his special friend and colleague Grant Abbott, “Jacques was a giant of a man who never shied away from confronting every issue he faced head-on. He put others first before himself even to the very end”.

His ICT colleagues will testify to his dedication and commitment to his work and his NTEU colleagues, to his other work – helping and protecting staff members as National President of the union. There were many hours, days and weeks spent in meetings, negotiating with management about conditions of service, salaries etc. – Jacques always remained a gentleman and earned the absolute respect of the management team

Those damn printers! Sorry Jacques – but I just had to raise it.

A few years back an “imaging landscape” was proposed for NMMU and Jacques was the head honcho of this project. “We need to save the university money by installing shared printers in departments instead of individual ones”. I have cursed you every day since Jacques – every time that printer doesn’t spit out my work – even after five trips to the printing room. But he knew it was the right thing to do. Maybe I’ll look at that printer with a little more respect from now on.

I remember when he was struggling with his health and he built a bar in his home - all by himself. I watched the progress on Facebook and told him that I’d be joining him for a tequila at that bar when it was finished. He finished the bar. I never got to drink the tequila with him. Tonight I drink that tequila – to you my friend – the great man you were – to your wife Heloise, your daughter Inge, your family, your friends, your colleagues and everyone whose life you touched.

The footprints you have left in our hearts will never be washed away.

Rest in peace Jacques – you deserve to be free now.

5 comments:

  1. We all knew JW, as I called him will leave us one day cause we watched the cancer eat him away bit by bit...One thing that this disease did not manage to take away from Jacques was his incredible mind...He still used it to its full capacity until the very end. I served with him in the National Committee of NTEU, on Thursday 26 Feb we had our last NEC meeting with Jacques, he wheeled himself there and took charge. I thought to myself, our Jacques is still going to be with us for a while...little did I know that was my last time with him.
    Jacques Wessels you left a legacy! I SALUTE YOU...You are now in PEACE, this I know for sure...Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing tribute Bev and every bit correct. I remember sitting in his lounge a few weeks ago and he was still plotting to take over the world. Much love and respect for a giant among men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning tribute to a 'Legend', friend, colleague & mentor. He inspired us all in so many ways, let us continue to shine his light. RIP 'Man van Staal'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest in peace Jacques. Was a pleasure meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. “It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

    ReplyDelete