Wednesday 29 July 2015

'I will make it!'


Guest blogger Khanyisa Melwa
Since I haven’t penned one of these in a while, I would like to begin by apologising to my readers for temporarily neglecting them. This is due to unforeseen yet foreseen circumstances, which briefly estranged my hand from my pen. But fret not, for I will make it.

These were the words uttered by our brave chief executive and Vice-Chancellor, Prof Derrick Swartz at the rowing challenge at the Fitness and Aquatics centre yesterday in response to what his mantra will be as he attempts to summit the more than 3700-m high Mount Fuji in Japan next week.

So there I was, waiting for this rowing challenge to begin; learning new words like “ergo machine” from those with an adept knowledge of all things fitness. Then came the Q & A session – while some took this opportunity to personally wish the VC good luck – I couldn’t help but pick his brain and by extension, his soul, when I asked him what his mantra be will.

NMMU Vice-Chancellor Prof Derrick Swartz participates in a rowing challenge as part of his preparaion
You see, we all have our mottos/quotes/sayings which we internalise and repeat to ourselves to keep ourselves motivated. We often remember these during times of strife and hardship, as it is through this adversity that one’s character and mettle is tested. And there is no doubt that his will be tested on the mountain.

In my nervous attempt to string together coherent sentences while asking the VC a question, I remembered the African proverb which I hold dear.

It reads thus:

“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.”

I thought this to be quite symbolic owing to the nature of the #climb4nmmu campaign, which has sought to raise funds for academically deserving yet financially needy students using a crowd funding model. This model challenges corporates and individuals alike to donate however much they are willing, with the aim of reaching R500 000; a target which we have since surpassed, as we now stand at R764 000 (at last count), with a new target of R1 million.

The #climb4nmmu campaign has consisted of a number of events that have seen corporates, staff, students and the Nelson Mandela Bay community coming out to show their support for the VC. This proves that although he might be climbing that mountain alone, we are with him in spirit.

Those of you who are acquainted with Prof Swartz’s oratory prowess should be aware of how strongly he believes in the power of the human spirit. This, he says, is going to be his driving force as he climbs up that mountain with the occasional “I will make it” emanating from under his breath.

“The belief that I know I’m going to make it,” is what will keep him going.


Remember not too go fast Prof, but go far; we are right beside you every step of the way.

Below: A selection of photographs from the Rowing Challenge at NMMU's Human Movement Science Centre on South Campus.


No comments:

Post a Comment