Monday 27 July 2015

My amazing lunch with the VC

Guest blogger Sakhumzi Dukwe chats to Vice-Chancellor Prof Derrick Swartz

By Sakhumzi Dukwe, Second Year Psychology student and NMMU Trust Bursary Legacy recipient


Friday, 24 July 2015, was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had at varsity. A date to keep forever and a moment to treasure.

I had lunch with the Vice-Chancellor and other prominent people from NMMU, where the VC got to know me better as he is supporting the NMMU Trust Bursary legacy campaign of which I am a recipient. 

The glorious moment was when I asked the VC some tough questions about his life, leadership and his dreams for our continent as a whole. His answers were spot on, heartfelt and had an element of hope for a better world.

Myself and the VC have a similar leadership style and I will definitely adopt a lot of his ideologies  - from his words paraphrased – “let's strive for a more peaceful, equal, gentle Africa. Where being educated is compulsory for everyone and education is life-long. Where we use words rather than weapons to settle our issues”. 

I totally enjoyed myself and ate the delicious food that was served. I hope I can have that experience again in the near future.

Thanks to the VC, the NMMU Trust team and everyone who made that lunch possible.


1 comment: